Remember last year when we discovered the book, The Scrambled States of America by Laurie Keller? We had just moved here to the little town in the South and living in our little house. Gavin and I were stoked when South Carolina and Indiana were hanging out next to one another! We loved Scrambled States of America so when Gamewright Games offered me the opportunity to review the game I was all over it.
There are reasons why I like games so much. And the Scrambled States of America card game pretty much met my game expectations. I'm sure by now you are all curious what those game expectations are. So allow me to share:
- Games should make everyone laugh and generally have a good time. This game has lots of laughs. The illustrations alone crack us up.
- Games shouldn't take 3 weeks to finish. We like our games over in at least 30 minutes or less. Gives more chances for multiple wins! No, there's absolutely no competition in our household. One round of Scrambled States takes 15 to 20 minutes tops.
- We like our games to either a) stand the test of time (ie "Sorry") or b) be the winner of lots of awards. Check out the awards The Scrambled States of America Card game has won:
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold Award
- Creative Classroom Magazine Teacher Tested Tools & Toys
- Parenting for High Potential Magazine Recommended
- National Parenting Center Seal of Approval
- National Parenting Publications (NAPPA) Honors
- Parents' Choice Approved
- Dr. Toy's 10 Best Socially Responsible Products
- Dr. Toy's Top 100 Children's Products
- Finally, as a parent, I like my learning covert. Meaning, if my son, the reluctant reader, gripes and complains about reading time but jumps at the chance to play a game with me, who am I to deny him his fun? Why? Because most games require some sort of reading, math, logic etc. This game is as covert as they come! Woo hoo! It's got language arts, social studies, geography, and math...a parent's dream and a kid's nightmare (that is, if they only knew!).
And now you, dear readers, can have a Gamewright Games Night too! The folks at Gamewright have generously offered to giveaway one of their newest games, Say Cheese, to one lucky reader. Say Cheese is a super fast dice game. Quickly roll your dice to match the characters on the photo booth cards. The game is for ages six and up and there is no reading required so you might even be able to get under the "six year old requirement".
Here's what you need to do to get a chance to win the game:
- Go to Gamewright Games and choose which game sounds like the most fun to you. Come back here and leave a comment telling me the name of the game AND an e-mail to contact you if you win.
- become a follower (one entry for each) of Betty and/or Later Betty's Bargains
- become a fan of Gamewright Games at Facebook
- Follow me, LaterBetty, on twitter and tweet about the giveaway (with a re-tweet, of course, to me)
- Read my review of another Gamewright game at Later Betty's Bargains and enter that giveaway too.